Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Prayers of a Six Year Old

So, a while back (just before Christmas), we were having some very difficult mornings. Attitudes were not the best. And, that goes for all three people in the car every morning on the way to drop off Caleb. So, our (Caleb, Cameron, and Me) New Year's Resolution was to pray every morning on the way to school. I pray for both Caleb and Cameron, and usually Caleb wants to say a prayer for me. Cameron, occasionally, throws in some wise words Upward.

Well, my brother, Uncle Jared is in Day Two of the Bar Exam today. So, I was explaining all of this to Caleb as we got into the car. And, I was saying how I prayed all day yesterday for Uncle Jared, and that I was going to do that again today and tomorrow. So, Caleb asked if when I prayed on the way to school, would I pray for Uncle Jared too, so that he could hear my prayers? Of course!!

So, I prayed for Caleb, Cameron, and Uncle Jared. I lifted up each concern that was on my heart for each of them and gave them over to God. I used some five dollar vocabulary when expressing my desire for Jared's wisdom, anxiety, peace, etc. Then came Caleb's turn. And, I'm pretty sure he said it the best...

"Dear God, please give Uncle Jared all the smartness he needs."

Sometimes his complete honesty and earnest, heartfelt words speak volumes.

No comments: