Monday, January 11, 2010

Bearing Fruit

**update** I really wanted to update this yesterday, but never got the chance. Yesterday morning I was in Bible study and talking to one of the "seasoned" moms about the service. And, I think I may have it wrong. It's not about me resolving to bear more fruit. I don't get that choice. And, while I may choose differently, all I can do is be a vessel - a vine or a tree. I only have to make myself available - it's His choice to use me. So, sometimes it may be one grape off one vine and sometimes it may be a vineyard. So, my resolve has changed. It's to build a relationship, to choose His water, His soil, and His timing.



Caring for others is what we are supposed to do.......... John 15:8 This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.


We started a new series at church this morning entitled Bear Fruit. The sermon was amazing, and the display of hundreds of pieces of fruit on the stage (all being donated to a local Kids Club) was beautiful, and we were even encouraged to go at the end and get an apple to take and remind us. But, even as good as it all was, it's only so good unless we make it applicable. We must resolve ourselves to be pruned and tweaked, to stand against harsh elements, and come out on the other side with beautiful blooms that become amazing fruits. Then we must share. We must take our fruits and use it for the glory of God, seeking Him, and caring for those around us.


I'm encouraged tonight by the new year, the new decade. I'm encouraged by the hope of future fruits. I'm encouraged to know that even when some branches die and not all the fruit is good, that I am redeemed by His saving Grace and He never abandons me.


I resolve to argue less, smile more, have more patience, spend more time in the big picture and worry less about the details. I resolve to pray more, love more, encourage more. I resolve to be more fruitful.

No comments: