Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Haiti Bound

I've been sitting here trying to put into words what she's already done so well. So after typing and deleting several times, I'm going to let her words speak. What follows is the letter that Emily wrote regarding her upcoming journey...


Dear Friends and Family,

The past two summers have brought unexpected opportunities to travel to Haiti, each with a nine-day trip south to the beautiful, unfortunate, half island. Hitting ground in Cap-Haitian, my heart running ahead of me, I found myself confident this country had been written in my story long before I knew its name. As the journey continued, the mosquito bites grew numerous, the smells never went unnoticed, the potholes seemed to get deeper, and the nights in bed more restless. However, along the ride the handholds grew numerous, the hope never went unnoticed, the friendships seemed to get deeper, and my heart grew more restless with uncertainty of my role in this seemed to be forgotten place. Staring at the stars I became overwhelmingly reminded that my God knows His creation, fights for those He loves, is the Father of compassion, and Giver of eternal encouragement. He has allowed me to fall in love with a beautiful people and graciously given me time to know them more.

This January my eyes will see Haiti again thanks to an undeserved invitation to return. Wilbert and Meg, the founding couple of Living Hope Mission Ministries, have become heroes, guides, encouragements, and friends during these short meaningful visits. Highly respected among the people in the area, they have served tirelessly to “offer Haiti living hope in Christ, the hope of the world” through education, churches, construction, renovation, farming, and relationships. This spring, for three months, I will walk along-side the two absorbing the culture, learning the tendencies, loving new faces, and assisting wherever and whenever needed. Shadowing Meg, I hope to grow, learn, and share in His relentless grace, true power, mighty justice, and strong mercy.

To go to a different place, a different people, and completely submerge myself into an unfamiliar culture finds me excited, anxious, and doubtful in my abilities. I know that these months will be full of confusion, nervousness, helplessness, frustration, and fears of isolation; but I am confident that my Creator will bring understanding, strength, companionship, incredible hope, and a broken heart to mirror His own for this nation. I know that Love will lead me to be humbled. Please pray on my behalf for the coming months, my preparation physically and emotionally, for those that will cross my path, the opportunities to share His love, and the constant knowledge of my purpose in glorifying the Holder of the Universe; may I walk these steps faithfully.

May the Molder of the mountains, the Floater of the clouds, the Painter of the trees, and the Mapper of the winds remain a mystery to His children. Thank you for taking these steps in my story with me. I love and appreciate you.

Love,
Emily Lane
1 John 4:12


Please join us in praying for our very good friend.




1 comment:

Ellen said...

Good luck to Emily on her journey back to Haiti! And many prayers will be said on her behalf :) And that letter was perfect!