Tuesday, August 23, 2011

First Days

Well, I did it. I managed to leave the baby at school alllllll day for Kindergarten. I won't lie, there were tears, but I somehow I managed to keep the 'cry like a fool tears' at bay until I got to the car. And, Caleb looked so grown up and big in his third grade class - almost too much to take. He was so helpful dropping off his little brother in his class; made me want to rewind, stop time, figure out how he had grown so.


As for the boys, they did awesome. Cameron got in the car after school and with a grin from ear to ear told me how much he looooooooves school, that his day was "pheMOMinal" and that he couldn't wait to go back. He told me all about class, lunch, recess and art with such enthusiasm that I was getting the sinking feeling he wasn't going to want to quit school, stay home with me, and be my sidekick again. In fact, I was beginning to have that nagging feeling that he was excited to go back the NEXT day! Can you believe?! Just kidding, I was so thrilled and so encouraged and happy for him; it brought on a whole new set of tears. And, he begged to ride the bus on the second day home and not have me pick him up!! HAS HE COMPLETELY ABANDONED ME OR WHAT?!


Caleb got in the car and said his day was "good and he ate all his lunch." Man of many words. HA! After some prodding and listening to his phone conversation with the many folks who call to see about the first day, I learned all about his day. He has the same teacher he had in the first grade (she moved up to third last year) and was delighted about that, about switching back and forth between two teachers for different subjects, about his friends in his class, and equally desiring to ride the bus home the next day. I MEAN C'MON! :-)








Greg brought me flowers and this poem home after MY first day...


First Day of Kindergarten

Everyone has a first day
When they feel sad and all alone
It can be scary
when you are on your own
And I know that a first day
Can be full of doubts and fears
But they are full of new beginnings
Take my hankie, dry your tears

You'll find lots of things to do
And you'll probably make new friends
I promise we'll be together
When the school day ends

Here comes the teacher
Blow your nose and be brave
Come on now and wipe your eyes
This is no way to behave

Well, Good Morning, Teacher
We really do beg your pardon
No, Mommy doesn't always act this way
But it's my first day of Kindergarten!

Author unknown




No comments: