Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Hyperventilating and a very pleased beggar


Last year, Caleb would ask me all the time occasionally if he could ride the school bus. I never gave in. (he did get to ride it for the field trip, which, incidentally, he says was the best part of that day) I thought since I am a stay-at-home mom that rarely stays home that one of my jobs was to endure the road rage causing debacle that is called the car-pool line. After much deliberation including, but not limited to, following the bus home for two days to time it's route and realizing it was beating me home along with the fact that I leave my house 30 minutes before school lets out to go a few miles and sit in 100+ degree heat with my air-conditioning blowing full blast and wondering exactly how much gas I was burning up, we decided to let Caleb "try" the bus out for the rest of the week to see how he likes it before we make a full year commitment. That and he begs really well.
So, today my sweet son woke up and the first words out were "I get to ride the bus today!" We rehearsed his bus number over and over on the way to school, and I reassured myself him that I would be at the bus stop (which I pointed out three times) to meet the bus. I began to have some anxiety when I realized school was coming to an end, broke out in a sweat when I realized he was probably on the bus, and tried not to hyperventilate as I ran walked calmly to the bus stop.
Alas, my little boy who is not so little anymore emerged from the bus with an excited grin on his face exclaiming he "loved" riding the bus and that he couldn't wait to do it again tomorrow!
Oh, and we LOVE the first grade!

No comments: