Monday, October 12, 2009

Forever and a Day

Since I've posted. I know, I know. I'm sure you have all been on pins and needles to know what's happening on a day to day basis. And, since I talk to most of you regularly, well, you're already pretty caught up on current events.

But, since I have a blessing to post about tomorrow, I thought I would try to catch up throughout today.

Not this past weekend, but the weekend before (make sense), Greg, the boys, and I went to the deer lease for opening of bow season. We got there after dark Friday night, and after unpacking the truck, we all pretty much went to bed. Saturday morning, Greg got up to go get in his stand (at a time that should not be allowed to get up on a Saturday unless you are hitting a REALLY good sale or catching a plane to NYC or Mexico or somewhere exciting!) and off he went. When the boys and I got up, we had breakfast, got ready and waited for Greg. Greg came and got us after the morning hunt and we drove around scoping out the place since last season, feeding deer, filling feeders, etc.

After lunch, Caleb and I had some target practice. By this time, it was HOT out there. So, after target practice, we decided to let the boys rest in the A/C and watch a movie. Well, not long after the movie started, and Greg cleaned up around camp, and I swatted gnats (nasty little creatures), it started to rain. And, by "started to rain", I mean the heavens opened up. We called my dad to have him look at the radar, and we quickly decided we needed to pack up and get out - quickly - or we were going to be stuck. Greg and I scrambled, and we had everything packed up, loaded up (including kids), and ready to haul out in less than thirty minutes. Then came the hard part.

Camp is about two miles in from the county road, and those two miles are pretty much dirt, which by this point has become a river of flowing water and mud. We slid sideways for much of the way, with Greg very calmly handling every 'issue' that arrived. Honestly, he did an amazing job - even when we almost took out a high fence. I sat in the passenger seat, trading back and forth between praying outloud and saying 'Greg, greg, are you okay' and 'do you see that?' (um, duh, aleesa). I think we finally exhaled when we reached the county road.

The next morning when I checked the weather from the comfort of my bed at home, we saw that several more red cells had passed right over the deer lease, and we said prayers of thanksgiving that we had left when we did.
Cameron wearing Papa's hat that he found hanging in the trailer

Target practice - Caleb got a bullseye!

The high fence we almost took out, and one of the beautiful animals that lives on the other side of it.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Love the pic of Greg and Caleb... you should put it up in his room :)Looks like you used some fancy photog skill that I do not have!