Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The One that Got Away

The morning after Caleb's party, we took the boys fishing. Greg was originally going to be headed for the deer lease, but due to torrential rain that week, it was unlikely that actually making it to camp was going to happen. So, he stayed home that Saturday, and he, my dad, the boys and I headed to the river. The little boys fished for a while, but then became more interested in the water that had settled in amongst the rocks from the rain that were now filled with tadpoles. My dad and Greg were wade fishing, so I took Caleb's pole and went up river for a bit.

After about 30 minutes of casting, I caught a small bass. It was the first catch of the morning, and the boys quickly came to see the very small monster of a fish. Greg unhooked it for me, and released it back into the river. The boys went back to their puddles (the boys were now soaking wet), Greg went back down river to wade, and I went back to casting. Another hour went by, and nothing. For anyone. My dad and Greg called it a morning, and packed up all the tackle. They walked up by me, with everything loaded in their arms, and I decided to cast "one more time." And, cast I did.

A tug, then a pull. Then, Greg asked if I was caught on the bottom. No, sirree. I had a fish. I began reeling it in, getting pointers from both Dad and Greg. Then, my fish debuted above water. I had caught a nice size - about 2 lb - Guadalupe Bass. We all get excited, the boys are cheering (caleb and cameron, that is), and Greg gets a hold of it. I ask what we are going to put it in. Greg says, "you're gonna keep it?!" My dad and I answered together, "of course." My Dad's commending me on a "nice size fish." Greg unhooks it. It is slippery. He doesn't have a good grasp. And, OH NO - the fish flounders (all pun intended) and lands back in the river - where it promptly swam off. WHAT?!!!

Greg starts apologizing. My Dad is belly-laughing behind me. I'm looking at him with disbelief, and Caleb pipes up, "Dad, I'm a little bit angry at you." Greg felt terrible.

I got over it, but I didn't let it go easy - it was too much fun ribbing him about it. I told nearly every person I talked to the rest of the day. Of course, we had no camera, so you'll have to take my word on it. And, if you need to talk to one of my witnesses, let me know.

And, come to find out from some other anglers we know, that is about as big as those fish get.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Too bad you couldn't get it mounted!!! I love the new blog look... makes me smile for fall!!! I posted pictures from the kitchen post-glaze! :)