Wednesday, July 29, 2009

It was an honor

**update** http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VAyKZu3kZo


After church on Sunday, we decided to go to San Antonio. We had a few things we needed to do and Greg really "needed" to go to Bass Pro Shops. We didn't decide until we had turned the opposite way we needed to go out of church, so we had to go through town and then get on the Interstate. I'm so glad we did.



A few very sad times in my life, I have been a mourning person riding in a car in a line with our lights on following a loved one to their final earthly resting place. I am one of those people that finds the utmost respect in others who go out of their way, take a few moments out of their life, and pull over in respect. I also become enraged at those who don't. When my grandfather died, we went through his small town, and many people stepped out of their businesses and stood on the sidewalk in respect. I'll never forget the old cowboy standing with his hat held over his heart. Also, when my Aunt Denise died, we travelled from the church to the cemetery in Grapevine, TX at lunch hour (which if you don't know is a really busy time). I cried when the people pulled over for our family. (I yelled at those who didn't)



In turn, I like to pull over and show the same respect - I don't have to know the people. Well, on Sunday, we had the privilege of doing this. As we passed under and overpass at the edge of New Braunfels on I-35, we witnessed military people lined up all the way across the overpass and cars pulled to the sides. We had no idea what was going on, and at the next overpass were NB firetrucks, ambulances, and personnel lined up all the way across. After some speculating, it clicked with Greg - a 20 year old boy from New Braunfels was killed serving our country overseas and they were bringing him home. It was then we saw the flashing lights coming northbound from San Antonio, and my husband braked in the middle of the Interstate and swerved to the side of the road for us to pay our respect. It's the least we could do. And, it was a wonderful lesson to teach the boys.



http://herald-zeitung.com/story.lasso?ewcd=971e018221803f5e

No comments: